The Debian User Group in Vienna

Text archives Help

Re: [Debienna] Ideen für Dotfile-management

  • From: Al T <al.t AT disroot.org>
  • To: debienna AT lists.debienna.at
  • Subject: Re: [Debienna] Ideen für Dotfile-management
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 21:33:18 +0200

On Fri, May 29, 2020, 18:47 Al T
<al.t AT disroot.org>
wrote:
Wie macht ihr eigentlich Euer Dotfile-management?

[...]

* yadm (bare git repo, nur ein repo möglich, erlaubt Teile zu
verschlüsseln, git-integration), siehe https://yadm.io/

[...]

On Sun, 2020-05-31 (w22) 21:11:59, Klaus Ita wrote:
Yadm is just great!

Yes, yadm is awesome, very easy to use and has some great features
(templates, os-dependent files linking, ...). But it has some
drawbacks. AFAIK it only supports a single repository. But when I'm
using multiple machines and some of them are untrusted (so others have
access to my files), I don't want all my sensitive eggs (so everything,
which has to do with access management, e.g. ~/.netrc) in that one
basket - regardless on the ability to have those files encrypted.

I'm aware that this is a design choice, which makes sense in some cases,
but IMHO not in all of them.

Now I'm using yadm for dotfile-managemet on computers where I'm the only
user, but only for dotfiles without really sensitive information.

How do you do it?

Best wishes,
Alex

--